The boat’s identification number specifies the boat model, model year and year of production, among other things. Officially, the identification number is known by the acronym ‘WIN’.
In Cross boats, the identification number is located in the transom. The identification number facilitates easy identification of the boat’s production year and model year, even on older boats. The model number of the boat can be changed because of the change in the production facilities, change of the version or changes in the major accessories, for example.
The number is currently known as Watercraft Identification Number, or ‘WIN’. The formerly used terms ‘CIN’ and ‘HIN’ stand for exactly the same thing. The identification system is compliant with the Recreational Craft Directive (RCD) of the European Union, applied since 1998.
For example, if your boat’s transom has been engraved with FI-YAM28010K708, you will find the following information in it:
- The ‘FI’ country code indicates that the boat was manufactured by or for a Finnish company.
- ‘YAM’ is the unique code of the manufacturer; in the model years 2011 to 2017, these codes were marked based on the factory, so in this case ‘FI-FNX’ for the Fenix Marin Oy.
- What follows is the unique serial number of each boat. The first two digits are the code for the boat model, in this case number 28 means Cross 54 BR.
- The three following numbers tell the serial number, so in this case the boat has been number 10 in line.
- The letter following the serial number specifies the month of production. The calendar months run alphabetically beginning from ‘A’ for January, so in the example, the ‘K’ letter indicates November as the production month.
- The number following the production month indicates production year. Here, number ‘7’ means that the boat was manufactured in 2007.
- The final two characters provide the model year; for this boat, it is 2008.
The serial number does not indicate the production volumes of individual boat models, because the numbering may have been changed from one month to the next.
FI- Country code
YAM Manufacturer code
28 Model number
10 Serial number
K Production month (K=November)
7 Production year (2007)
08 Model year (2008)
Cross model numbers
Identification numbers for Cross models currently in production
|Cross 49 BR||04|
|Cross 54 BR||28|
|Cross 57 BR||12|
|Cross 62 BR||35|
|Cross 64 BR||18|
|Cross 75 BR||46|
Identification letters for older boat models:
|Cross 46 SC||29|
|Cross 53 BR||07|
|Cross 53 CC||08|
|Cross 60 C||21|
|Cross 61 CC||15|
|Cross 63 BR||17|
|Cross 75 BR ->2020||19|